Aquaticus is a makeup story including two sea creatures created as my official entry for the 2019 NYX Face Awards.
The first look is a traditional take on a mermaid. She is lured by a mysterious light into the depths of a dark cave. In that cave she is gifted a necklace by a creature hidden in darkness which is revealed to be an evil sea witch. The gift poisons the mermaid and her essence is absorbed by the witch.
The main look — the sea witch — was inspired by a combination of a venomous blue ringed octopus and the luring bioluminescence of deep sea predators. The glowing effect was created using Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel LED lights embedded in latex prosthetics.
The sea witch’s throne understructure is built out of cardboard and styrofoam. The bones are made of two-part plastic casts, the large coral pieces are natural sea sponges and the barnacles are made of latex. The main texture over the chair is created with CelluClay Instant Paper Mâché.
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP PRODUCTS
- Prismatic Shadow in Golden Peach
- Prismatic Shadow in Mermaid
- Hot Singles Eye Shadow in Electric
- Eyeshadow in Electroshock
- Eyeshadow in Epic
- Foil Play in French Macaron
- Glitter Primer
- Multi Finish Ultimate Electric Palette – Matte Teal
- Strobe of Genius Illuminating Warm Palette – Light Gold
- Prismatic Shadow in Glass Slipper
- Strictly Vinyl Eyeliner in Crone
- That’s the Point Eyeliner Hella Fine
- Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator in Sun Beam
- Gel Liner & Smudger in Teal
- Jumbo Eye Pencil in Lavender
- Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk
- Hot Single Eyeshadow in Whipped Cream
- Nude Matte Shadow in Cougar
- Nude Matte Shadow in Frisky
- Primal Colors in Hot Orange
- Primal Colors in Hot Yellow
- Primal Colors in Hot Black
- Eyeshadow in I Have a Headache
- Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Alien
- Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Denim Dress
- Faux Whites in Mint Cream